Try (and One or Two Things I NEED From You!)

by Kenny Eller on December 21, 2010

It’s time for a little game.  A game to get you thinking.  Ready?

OK, here we go.  Fill in the blank:

I currently do __________ for a living, but wish I could do __________ instead/also.

####

I know a handful of people reading the sentence above, who can’t fathom how anyone would ever think that way.   Just do it already, they might quip.  If you’re one of those people, stay with me, I will need your help in a bit.

Today’s reality however is one where most, including myself at times, does think or has thought that way.

So why doesn’t everyone stop talking about it and “just do it”?

Fear?  The unknown?  Fear of the unknown?  What if things don’t work out?  What if I wish I had never stopped doing what I was doing?

Sound familiar to anyone?

The King

The year was 1993.   The Chicago Bulls had just won their third NBA Championship in a row, the first team to do so in 27 years.   For the third consecutive year Michael Jordan was named the most valuable player (MVP) of the NBA Finals.   In that Finals series against the Phoenix Suns, Jordan averaged an NBA Finals record 41 points per game, and still grabbed 8.5 rebounds per game and dished out 6.3 assists.

Put your eyebrows down and close your mouth. 😉  In case you forgot, MJ was a bad man!

He was the very best in the game.  The King.

A few months later, following the sudden tragic loss of his father, he walked away from his Kingdom.

The King becomes a Pauper

Jordan walked away from the game of basketball while standing on its peak and went to the first step of another sport he hadn’t played since he was a kid.   He tried his best at the game of baseball and took all the curious eyes and ridicule that came along with it.

He made a decision to walk away from comfort.   To put aside something he had mastered and pursue something he was passionate about.

Not many believed in him or supported him.  Most in the baseball world couldn’t wait for him to fail.

There was nothing easy about the voyage, but yet he pushed off.

He Tried

Baseball didn’t work out for Michael Jordan the way hoops did.   He went back to basketball less than two years later and the rest is roundball history.

How he did at baseball in the big scheme of things doesn’t matter.  The most important part is that he tried.

He did the one thing that so many are unwilling to do.

Your Turn to Try!

I know people that sing like birds, write as well as best selling authors, rap like they should be getting paid, cook like Paula Deen, train like Jillian, build like Bob (making sure you’re paying attention, haha!), and on and on and on.

Know this…before the artist wins the Grammy, before the author tops the New York Times best seller list, before he was Kanye West, before she was Paula Deen and before she was Jillian Michaels, they had to begin with a single step forward.

They were all just “regular” people before they did.

One or Two Things I NEED From You!

Ok, we are finally to the “what I need from you” interactive part of today’s post.  Please don’t just pass over this.   This is VERY important!  Your effort could help guide someone’s first step.  Thank you in advance.

1. What Have You Always Wanted To Try?

Leave one thing you’ve always wanted to at least try in the comments section below.   If you’re advanced and I know you are, tell me why you have never moved forward with it before now.

2. What You Have Done?

If you’ve done something really cool in the last year, leave that in the comments section as well (even if I already know about it).  Look at it, not as a gloating session, but as positive reinforcement for all.   Proof that it can be done!  (Remember, not everyone thinks like you may, so please take the time to share.)

****

Thanks! I’m hoping for lots of feedback and even more newbies giving new things a try. 😀

Image Source

Kellie Kowalski December 21, 2010 at 10:13 am

Great post Kenny, I’m looking forward to seeing what the comment discussion will look like. So here’s mine:

1. Always wanted to try teaching abroad, but was too chicken to apply. I figured I’d just suck, since I knew next to nothing about being a teacher.

2. The coolest this I did in the last year was start a blog, which made me repeatedly move out of my comfort zone. I found a community, grew a spine, and eventually applied for a teaching gig in Japan.

Lesson learned: don’t let fear hold you back from anything. Life is never as scary as you can make it seem in your head.

Kenny Eller Kenny Eller December 21, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Thanks for sharing Kellie! As you know, I’m really excited about your journey and enjoy your blog. Your lesson learned is one that I wish we could all learn early in life. Awesome stuff!

Kenny Eller Kenny Eller December 22, 2010 at 8:03 am

Kellie, what finally allowed you to get past the fear?

Kellie Kowalski December 22, 2010 at 10:28 am

Hmmm, good question. I think it was actually starting the blog. It’s one thing to read them and nod to yourself and say, “Yes, I totally agree.”

But writing made me put my own spin those ideas, and just philosophizing without actually doing anything would make those words ring hollow. And having a community following along kinda ups the ante for that kinda thing. People were encouraging me, and I got more brazen in my little experiments outside my comfort zone.

Plus, I think you reach a point were the pain of not following your dreams becomes greater than the fear in your own head.

Kenny Eller Kenny Eller December 23, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Wow Kellie, “I think you reach a point where the pain of not following your dreams becomes greater than the fear in your own head.”, well said and SO TRUE!

I agree also that that the community does help hold us accountable.

I’m glad you are doing The Cracky Farm and pursuing your dreams!!!!!

Charissa Eller December 21, 2010 at 11:49 am

Something have never tried is being a fitness trainer/nutritionist. I really like to help people. Another thing is singing…not really helping people, but fun.

Kenny Eller Kenny Eller December 21, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Great! Why have you not pursued either? What is holding you back?

dani December 21, 2010 at 7:40 pm

Wow, awesome post Kenny!!
1. Something I’ve always wanted to try… I would love to write children’s books! What is stopping me? The only thing that comes to mind is fear. Fear that I lack creative ability.

2. Something really cool I’ve done this year… I ran my first race ever! A half marathon!!! You inspired me friend! Accomplishing something that I once thought was impossible felt absolutely ahhhmazing! :)

2Timothy1:7 For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline.

Kenny Eller Kenny Eller December 21, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Thanks for the kind words and the comment Dani!!!! I appreciate you sharing! 😀

The children’s book sounds like fun! Have you ever started one? I think you would surprise yourself with just how creative you can be!

Congrats on the half marathon! I’m glad I played a small part in your success. :-) I think you will inspire others to run as well! It’s hard not to when you’re excited about something. :-)

Love the scripture! Sounds like someone is going to start that Children’s Book!!!

dani December 23, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Nope, never actually started… just always thinking of ideas! Maybe 2011 is my NOW moment ;)!!!

Kenny Eller Kenny Eller December 23, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Haha, very nice! :-).

I actually wrote a children’s book years ago. Never did anything with it. It was called “the little penny.”

After reading your comment the other day I came up with another children’s book series that I meant to tell you about, and now I can’t remember! :-(

Can’t wait to read your book in 2011!!!