Free Throw Friday (video post): Week 1 Update

by Kenny Eller on October 29, 2010

Last Friday, I began documenting my road to 100 free throws in a row.  Due to a busy weekend schedule, I was unable to shoot any last weekend, but picked it up Monday morning and shot free throws each morning since.

I had hoped, after day one’s 16 in a row, that I would have a post showing my progression.

Unfortunately, I don’t :-(

The best I could do this week was to match the previous high of 16, which I did on Thursday.  I can say that my shot feels much more fluid now, but it hasn’t equated to makes…just yet :-)

I’m having a blast though.  I told myself today, as a bit of frustration creeped up, that I’m doing the best I can do in this moment.  I then smiled and enjoyed the rest of the shooting.

Here is the video of 16 in a row on Thursday:

The song used in this video is Unbreakable by Fireflight.

Bob Eller October 31, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I bet you’ll do 50+ in a row at camp, with a rebounder, in a controlled environment. Can’t wait to hear I was right!

Kenny Eller Kenny Eller November 1, 2010 at 7:58 am

Thanks man! I hope you’re right!!! 😀

Karol Gajda October 31, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Have fun this week Kenny! Looking forward to reading the recap. :)

Kenny Eller Kenny Eller November 1, 2010 at 8:00 am

Thanks Karol! The first session begins at 5pm today!

Sunil November 1, 2010 at 2:25 pm

I can’t wait for your next update. You need to give us details on everything that happens to you at Impact.

Kenny Eller Kenny Eller November 1, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Thanks Sunil! 1 hr from my first training session!!!! 😀

Emily Youngs November 2, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Nice!! Almost a quarter of the way there :)

I noticed that your pre-shot routine changed a bit over the course of your shots. One thing to try is to find a freethrow routine you like and stick to it every time. Mine was: line up shooting toe with basket (lefty :)), spin basketball backwards and get low as I dribble twice, on the second dribble go right into triple-threat/shooting position (girls need more leg power :p), hold, and the take my shot.

Consistency helps train your muscular memory so that you shoot the ball the same way, every time. Also, as you get closer to your 100 in a row, pay attention to your legs… you’ll need to use them a bit more :) Try not to adjust with your wrist too much. You want the arm movements to be automatic from that distance.

Good luck! :)

Kenny Eller Kenny Eller November 2, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Thanks Emily. Yeah, still shaking off the rust. It’s been quite some time since my really good shooting days. :-)